Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What is really behind the Brown ratings?

OK, I have to say that, once again, I am very baffled by the Brown University e-government ratings. In the 2007 version, Delaware has jumped from 15th to 1st. While I have to admit that they have made some improvements, like a front-page tag cloud with commonly used terms, an online shop at shop.delaware.gov and easy to recognize badges for weather and threat alerts, they still only index about 80 online services, I don't understand how they jump ahead of 14 other states. The only consistency is in those that Brown ranks in the bottom 8. Even there, you see Alaska jumping from 50 to 37. Taking note of Alaska, one of the great things they have done is post an RSS feed of their public notices. Illinois has dropped from 8 to 29, I get that. California has improved from 31 to 12, I can comprehend that also.

No comments: