Laurence Johnson of The New Media Consortium suggests the following:
we need a range of action informed by vision and clarity of purpose. What is needed most are these five things:
Audio is also here.
- programs that will spur the technical development of the 3D Internet;
- programs that add capacity to the woeful state of our information infrastructure and bring it to the communities and neighborhoods that currently have no or very poor access to broadband services;
- policies that require data and cellular networks to deliver the bandwidths and speeds needed to easily access these technologies;
- programs to ensure that educational institutions and students at all levels have the resources required to take full advantage of the potential of the 3D web; and
Beyond those vitally important actions, what is further needed is for government to engage the technology, to model effective uses of virtual worlds, and to promote programs and services that truly tap its potential to bring people together.
- programs and policies to encourage entrepreneurs to develop effective business models for this new frontier.
NMC's Horizon Report of Emerging Technologies