- Maps of Kyrgyzstan
- Bishkek, the capital city, has a population of about 900,000 people with a stunning view of the Tien Shan mountains in the distance - I'd love to visit there myself.
- US Embassy in the Kyrgyz Republic
- The US has an operation at Manas Air Base in Kyrgyzstan that supports operations in Afghanistan
- A 15-person delegation from Kyrgyzstan was hosted in Utah last month
- The Open World Leadership Center hosted the exchange. The center provides grants to US government and nonprofits for this purpose.
- BYU Newsnet article posted to the Open World site.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Utah Senator Visits Kyrgyzstan
I enjoyed reading Senator Valentine's account of his visit to Kyrgyzstan (I've usually referred to it as Kirgizia - in Russian Киргизия). I have always had an interest in the countries of central Asia. The senator mentions how cordially he was received which is what I would have expected. He also mentions that Kyrgyzstan's national budget is about a tenth of the budget of the State of Utah, even though the population is 5.3 million (almost exactly double).